"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12



“There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met.”- William Butler Yeats





Wednesday, March 5, 2008

From the heart


I'd like to share a story with you. This is a real story. A story about love, life, faith and hope.


A couple of years ago just prior to our seeing Kai's face for the first time, I had a woman write to me. She had read our story about our failed adoption and how we were left with nothing but the hope that God would somehow lead us to the child he meant for us to have.

This woman is probably one of the most Spirit-filled women I have ever met. Her support and prayers for our family have been a constant. I've never met her face-to-face, but I feel like I've known her all of my life.

I am writing this today because I have been very moved by a situation that is occurring in her family's life now, and there is no tool more powerful than prayer.

This woman has a grown, married daughter, Jennifer, who lost a child a few years ago early in her pregnancy. That loss, as you could imagine, devastated her. After a few years, and not being able to get pregnant, she and her husband, Jerry, decided to adopt a child from China. Their dreams were soaring on the fact that they would finally have a child. Her name would be Serafina (meaning angel).

We often question why God allows bad things to happen to good people, and I don't know the answer to that. But, I do know that all good things come from him and in the midst of the storm, He is there.

As it would have it, Jerry was stricken with Mutliple Sclerosis, an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system, consisting of the brain, spinal cord, and the optic nerves. I don't think I need to tell you how CCAA feels about a situation like this. Their dreams of adopting Serafina were shattered. Jerry had gone from walking and dancing at his wedding seven years ago, to a walker and now a wheelchair.

Since that time, this young couple has had many difficulties. But with amazing faith in our merciful and loving God their life began to change. A few months ago, Jennifer and Jerry invested every cent they had into an attempt to have a child through invitro fertilization. After an unsuccessful attempt, they were elated to find out that the second time around they had been blessed! Jennifer is 28 weeks pregnant and awaiting a beautiful daughter, who will be named Serafina Therese , after the saint who sends roses.

In addition to this indescribable joy in their lives, they came across an amazing piece of technology that would possibly allow Jerry to walk again. (http://www.walkaide.com/) This week, he went for an evaluation and was able to walk on his own using this device, which is FDA approved. His neurologist wrote the prescription for them. It seemed that finally, things were falling into place and the Lord was smiling down upon them. That is, until their insurance company rejected the claim. The cost of the device is $10,000. They will continue to battle with Cigna* on this issue, but in the meantime, he remains in a wheelchair and was told not to put his hopes on the insurance company approving the claim.

I cannot even fathom what it must be like, especially for him, to know that there is something out there that allows him mobility again, and that due to the decision of a few members on an insurance company's payroll, that dream will never come to fruition. It makes me sick to my stomach.

So, once again, I am coming to the faithful prayer warriors that read my blog to please lift this situation up to our Lord. Nothing is impossible with Him. Let this be a testimony that glorifies our God who blesses us with miracles, faith and compassion. I know that whatever the outcome, He will still be glorified.

I read somewhere that God never wastes a hurt, and that He will always use a painful experience to bless others going through similar experiences. You may know someone with MS, or may have been affected by it yourself. Whatever the case, I know God answers prayers.

I have been trying hard to see how the funds could be raised for this man to be able to stand by his wife's bedside as she delivers their beautiful daughter in June. I don't know how to do this. But the sovereign God we serve definitely does. He's told us "Ask and you shall receive."

Again, no coincidence that the little pamphlet that I was handed a couple of days ago with the words John 15:16 boldy across the top, clearly stated.... "Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."

So, as I close, I thank God for putting this family in my path and for allowing me to advocate for them. This may just be the "something big" He was asking of me.

If you have any suggestions on how this money could possibly be raised, please let me know. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and prayers. I know this wonderful family is counting on them.

In His Blessed Name....

Ohilda


For those of you that are Catholic (and even those that are not), today is the day suggested by the church to begin a novena to St. Joseph, Jesus' adoptive father. If you are interested in beginning this novena for Jerry, please email me and I will gladly send it you.
In addition, anyone who would like to post this on their own blogs requesting prayers and/or suggestions for fund raising or even to pass on the prayer requests to prayer warriors in your own community, please feel free to do so. I have received the family's permission.
*********************************************
* Cigna is the same insurance company who denied a liver transplant claim to a 14 year old girl. She died just minutes after a state wide appeal against the company caused Cigna to approve the claim. You can click HERE to see how this company decides to play God by choosing who lives and who dies.

6 comments :

waiting4Isabella said...

Incredible story, please send me the Novena and I too will pray for God's will to be done in Jerry's Life.

Blessings, Ily

Char said...

Would it do any good to get their local media involved? They love doing human interest stories and this might spark their interest. Maybe getting the word out to many people could bring the answer they need.

Blessings,
Charlotte T.

The Ferrill's said...

Ohilda, I am praying for your friends. What an amazing story, and I love the picture of them. Their countenance is full of the joy of Jesus, they don't look a bit downcast, though I'm sure this trial is hard. Thank you for sharing their story. And Ohilda, thank you for sharing your life and heart in a dark world. Your posts about God's will are thought-provoking and I have noticed more how the Lord is speaking to me...Am I bold enough to pray "Thy will be done"?
Thank you for inspiring us all!
Blessings,
Laine
For your friends in this financial/insurance pit: Our God is Jehovah-Jireh...the God who provides!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom 2 six said...

Prayers and thoughts with them...

The Byrd's Nest said...

What a heartfelt post. I love reading your posts and looking into your heart. You are an amazing Christian role model for all of us.

I will be praying for this family.

Blogs For Babies said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this amazing story. I will be lifting them up in prayer and PRAISING GOD on their new addition to the family!
Keisha

Blog Widget by LinkWithin