"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12



“There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met.”- William Butler Yeats





Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Birthday....

to one of the biggest loves of my life, my first baby....Tito!

A quarter of a century ago, I wobbled thru the doors of a hospital, as I practiced my breathing and panting to relieve what would turn out to be over 30 hours of labor pains. The end result? One of the most beautiful and rewarding gifts a mother could ever receive. At 12:28 p.m., on August 31, 1982, I gave birth to our first son. I was only 19 at the time and truly had no idea of what becoming a mother was to be like, but I knew with every fiber of my being that I would love this little creation with all of my soul, and it would be a love that would never end. For 25 years, it's been that way and will continue to be until the day I take my last breath.

The thought of my baby boy being 25 today just blows me away. Where has time gone? I remember going to Mommy and Me classes with him, then Cub Scout meetings and camping trips. I remember how I went from hearing the words "Mommy" to what turned out to be "Mom" because Mommy was no longer cool. I remember crying and wiping tears as I dropped him off preschool for the first time. I remember graduations, girlfriends and the day he called me to say that my beautiful granddaughter, Jade Kelly, was born. Although I felt I was way too young to be a grandmother, the pride in his voice made me tremble. My little boy has grown into such a wonderful young man. Don't get me wrong, we've had some tough moments, but we made it through and I'm so proud of the man he has become.

Thinking back....Aaahhhh yes, those teenage years. He has definitely been my "rebel without a cause". Sometimes even wondering where I had gone wrong, but to God's glory, I wouldn't change anything that we have been through. He has learned so much from his mistakes, and I have learned so much from him. He has made me a better Mother, and I think that now, at 25, he realizes what a parent goes through in life for their children. He was in a bad accident at 15 years old and I thought we were going to lose him. My life had turned upside down and I relied on our God and his precious mother to bring my baby through.....they did! That was probably one of, if not "the" worst, moments of my life.

I love this child with a fierce, protective love and he will always be my baby. He was my first born, and there is something so very special in that. Had he known how terrified I was of making mistakes when I first held him 25 years ago, he'd probably wished he could return to the womb, but instead, his love was unconditional, even through my mistakes. I was always his Mommy. I am honored and blessed to be his mother and I thank God every day for that privilege.

Tito,

There is nothing I could ever say that could fully make you realize what an amazing blessing you have been in my life. I just want you to know that you are loved beyond measure and you hold a very special place in my heart and those of your entire family, including all of your new siblings who adore you!
I love you as much as the whole wide world....and back again!

Happy Birthday, sweetheart!
Mom


Here is a video I did for him on his 23rd birthday. Enjoy!

(Please remember to scroll down and turn off the background music)


1 comment :

geminirn said...

OH I LOVED THE VIDEO!!!!!My Son will be 23 in December and remember quite fondly the smile that was on his face also the year he received his my buddy doll......to cute!!!!

What a handsome young man you have raised!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin